Sunday, March 14, 2010







After accidentally hitching to the wrong town in the wrong direction I found myself once again in the corramondal way north of where I was thinking of going, Tairua not Te Aroha. So I made the most of it and stayed the night there (top image of me posing).

The next day I headed south to whangamata (pronounced fangamata) because I remembered this was a small town with a nice beach and a cheap supermarket and was near by. all was fine until the next day when I tyred to leave. It was a Sunday but the kiwi who I was sharing a room with seemed confident that I would get a lift in no time. So walking to the end of the road about 10 mins out of town along with vince who has been coming along with me we stuck up the thumbs. No ride for 20 mins although there was plenty of traffic, then another 20 mins, we sat under a tree which was by the road which was shielding us from the sun but still it was taking to long, another ten mins went by and we decided to split, I waited around the corner while vince worked his magic with the traffic getting a lift within 10 mins from a camper van (with only one spare seat). So now my turn, I step up to the road confident I will soon be on my way. Another hour or so gos by and a hundred cars have shot passed with empty seats untill a woman who has stopped at the shops calls over and asks where am I going.

'anywhere south' I yell in desperation

she drives over and I jump in. Turns out she is going all the way to Mt Maganui, exactly where I was heading in order to stay in a cheap hostel I have a leaflet for. But ten mins down the road Glennis has to visit her fammily for an hour, I take my chances with the road and get out in the blistering sun, with no shade to be seen and no sun lotion left I tuck myself behind a bush for sweet relief from the burning sun, this effectively means I have to jump out on traffic from behind a bush when I hear it coming. Perhaps not surprisingly I am left there until Glennis returns to save the day.

She takes me all the way to Mt Manganui (actually slightly past her original destination) and instead of leaving me at the side of the road, byes me and vince (who I meet there) and foot long subway with 2 cookies and a drink! The day had been saved by the kindness of one lady. Who also gives me an old New Zealand penny for luck, which hopefully it will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment