Monday, January 11, 2010

Hitch-Hike


Not really having planned how to get around after returning the van we found that probably the best and cheapest way to get around was to split up and hitch-hike. Great way to meet local kiwis who more often than not have a very in depth knowledge of the country there driving through. Despite the obvious reservations about getting in a car with a stranger (something I'm sure my Mum has told, or at least should have told me not to do) I've found that the people in this country are so accommodating to travelers that sticking up the thumb is probably less dangerous than catching the bus or train back home. Its actually surprising how fast a way to travel this is, within five minutes of facing the traffic you can be on your way to covering half the country. Obviously not knowing where you will spend the night can be a slight worry but this was easily overcome by getting a tent so I basically carry my home with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment